Heath Cheek JD
Heath Cheek’s practice is focused on trials and disputes. He represents Fortune 500 companies, small businesses, and individuals in litigation involving securities, real estate, health care, internal investigations, labor and employment, trusts and estates, media law, patent and trade secrets litigation, and general commercial litigation. He has represented clients in the following industries: private equity, financial institutions, agriculture, real estate, telecommunications, technology, professional sports leagues, media companies, outdoor advertising, health care, and energy.
Activities & Memberships
- Heath successfully obtained a $3,000,000 judgment from a Dallas State Court on behalf of an investment advisor arising out of the advisor’s work on the acquisition of an energy pipeline company on behalf of a Dallas-based private equity firm. Following the judgment, Heath navigated a complicated collection process and negotiated a favorable payout agreement with the trustee of a Louisiana bankruptcy action.
- On the day before Christmas Eve, Heath obtained emergency writs of attachment and garnishment on behalf of a community bank to prevent the disbursal of proceeds from the sale of a collateralized agricultural business in Northeast Texas.
- Heath has been involved in more than a dozen FINRA arbitrations involving suits by investors brought against financial advisors.
- Heath led a FINRA arbitration representing a high net worth oil and gas investor in a broker-dealer suit and obtained a favorable settlement.
- As an integral part of a team of lawyers, Heath represented a Dallas-based securities company in a $3,000,000 arbitration concerning the underwriting of municipal bonds by obtaining a dismissal.
- Heath obtained a motion for summary judgment for a Dallas-based homebuilder in a case of first impression involving obligations of Municipal Utility Districts under the Texas Water Code, serving an important role as part of a team of lawyers.
- Heath played an important role in a motion for summary judgment for a national insurance company in conjunction with an employee embezzlement of over one million dollars.
- Heath served in an advisory role in due diligence matters pertaining to litigation and labor matters arising out of the $500,000,000 purchase of a national restaurant chain by client.
- Selected by attorney peers as a Texas Rising Star®, Texas Monthly, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Selected by the Dallas Business Journal for inclusion on its annual “40 Under Forty” list for 2013.
- In 2011, selected as one of the Five Outstanding Young Dallasites by the Dallas Junior Chamber of Commerce.
- Selected by the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee to chair a committee comprised of one hundred of the best and brightest young professionals in North Texas to assist and perpetuate the Host Committee.
- Baylor Law Review, Executive Editor
- Baylor Moot Court Team
- Order of Barristers, Baylor University School of Law
- At Texas Tech University, Heath was awarded Greek Man of the Year recognizing the most outstanding senior male student
Activities & Memberships
- Dallas Christian Legal Society, Board of Directors, Chair of National Day of Prayer Luncheon, 2013-present
- Dallas Museum of Art Junior Associates, Affair of the Art Co-Chair, 2014
- Maverick PAC, Dallas Co-Chair, 2010-2014
- State Fair of Texas Raffle, Chair, 2011-2014
- Republican Lawyers of Dallas, Chair, 2012-2014
- Texas Tech Alumni Association National Board of Directors, 2014-present
- North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee, Chair of NFL On Location Action Team, 2009-2011
- Chairman of American Cancer Society Starlight Gala Board of Directors, 2009
- Founding Chairman of Texas Tech Quarterly Business Briefing, 2008-2013
- Texas Tech Alumni Association of Dallas, President, 2011
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Young Lawyers Association, Leadership Class, 2010-2011
- Highland Park United Methodist Church, Greeter
- Dallas Rocks Host Committee, Sponsorship Chairman, 2009
- The Real Estate Council of Dallas Young Guns